1. Most people do a drive by before they decide if they want to see your home, so make sure your curb appeal is second to none. In Vegas that means no bare gravel, no dead plants, no broken sprinklers, and no dirt and dust build up! Consider the following
- Power wash siding and walkways
- Hang easy-to-read house numbers
- Plant blooming flowers and fresh greenery
- If you have grass, keep it trimmed. If your grass doesn't look nice, consider replacing it with synthetic grass
- Wash front windows
- Repaint or stain the porch floor as needed
3. Get the interior of your home spotlessly clean - and keep it that way until your home sells! If it is too much for you to have your home "magazine photo clean" then hire a cleaning agency to do it for you! This step really is key, so make sure you do a great job!
4. If you really want top dollar for your home, you MUST de-clutter. Remember, what is a treasure to you may very well keep someone else from seeing the value in your home. It is not easy to put things you love away, but remember, it's only temporary! You can break out all of your beloved treasures as soon as you get into you new home! And please, don't just cram everything into one room or the garage. Rent a storage unit and get it off site, so people can see your home at it's most spacious!
5. Look down! That's right - take a GOOD look at your floors! Make sure you have all carpets professionaly steam cleaned. Make sure you mop and buff your real wood floors, and shine your tiel. Broken tiles or loose floor boards should be fixed and replaced. And how about your wood trim? Make sure it is clean and any scuffs are removed.
6. Is it time to repaint? You should have cleared up some wall space during your decluttering process so take a good look at those walls. If walls were painted dark accent colors or have a lot of marks, dirt and stains, then get out the roller and repaint! Dirty, dark or dingy walls will lead to less profit for you at the end of the sale.
7. Don't forget about the kids! If you have children, make sure they are part of the cleaning and decluttering. No wants to look at kids toys all over the house; it will make it seem like your home doesn't have enough space so the kids have to take over. Make sure the kids rooms are clean and organized, including the closets!
8. Make sure your bonus room has a purpose, which cannot be to store extra stuff! When people tour your home, they want to get a good idea of what each room can be used for. If your home has an extra room that can be an office, then make it an office. If it can be a craft room, then make it craft room. Just don't use it to store extra "stuff" or try and make it a combination "craft/exercise/office/we don't really know what it is" room!.
9. If you have an awkward area in your home, address it! Some homes are built with an odd angle or a strange extra space thrown in. Make sure you stage these in a way that they seem to make sense. Use furniture, rugs and tasteful decor pieces to make it clear that the space is not wasted and can be used effectively as part of the living space.
10. This can be a very sensitive topic, but it's time to talk about how your home smells, especially if you have pets. You get used to the smell of your home, but someone walking in for the first time will notice ever odd or "off" odor. If you have pets make sure you keep their bedding and any furniture they are allowed on meticulously clean. If you have cats, make sure the cat box is kept clean at all times. Keep carpets vacuumed and use a product like "pet fresh" on your carpets once a week. Febreze does a wonderful job on furniture odors, too!
If you follow these 10 simple steps and adhere to the "showing policies" of keeping the lights on, making sure your home smells wonderful (baked cookies and cinnamon rolls are two favorite odors of home buyers) and keeping the house clean and tidy, you will be miles ahead of the competition!
Our team of Las Vegas Real Estate Agents and home specialists at Foster Beckman Group are available to help you buy, sell or invest in Las Vegas property. Call us today at 702-686-2695 to see how we can help you with all of your real estate needs!